Monday, March 1, 2010

Making a Connection

During the break, I had a chance to comment on a few of the the Grade 5/6 blog's from Comox, B.C. I commented on one blog in particular, written by "An Actress in the Making" Tatiana . She had written the most lovely poetry as well as a post or two on the movie Twilight which I also enjoyed watching. While on her blog, I also noticed that she had a Clustr map in the corner (...hmmm...I must figure out how to get me one of those!)

Since I was in L.A. for a while during the break, I figured that I could help some of these students get a red dot on their map since I always enjoyed seeing the red dots appear on our EPS blog in 3rd year. Anyways, I finished my comment to her and honestly, wasn't expecting much of a respond back...well, I was definitely wrong in that assumption!

She commented on my comment (I think that's how it works) and started asking me questions about L.A. and if she could write a blog post about my trip since she wants to travel there in the future. I must admit, I was amazed how excited she sounded and I was so honoured that she wanted to write about little old me...a person she had never even heard of prior to my comment. As a teacher, all I wanted to do was fuel that excitement for writing! She ended up writing an excellent post: Trip To Los Angles

Before this class, I thought I understood why people liked putting their thoughts out there on the internet. I figured was that they just wanted their voice to be heard. But talking with Tatiana made me realize that it is much more than that. It doesn't matter if your opinion is out there if you don't make a connection with someone else. A page or blog could exist forever and never really perform its purpose if someone else does not take the time to reach out and comment. I really was touched at the connection I made...and I hope to make many, many more :)

4 comments:

  1. Wonderful Callista. Here you were out to inspire Tatiana, and it turned out she (in turn) inspired you. It's funny how these things work.

    I hope you continue ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found your post through a tweet on Twitter. Thanks for writing about your experience. I have often hesitated to comment on the blogs I stumble across, mainly because I think I have nothing to say or because I don't really want to take the time to say, "Hi." Your post has convicted me. Even the smallest comment can make a big difference. Thanks again for writing this!

    Oh, and..."Hi!" ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great story Callista! Ditto to Alec's comment :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very inspiring! I also found this post on Alec's tweet. More and more everyday, technology is proving to be more powerful and beneficial than hindering to the success of our students (especially when it is used like this. Thanks Callista!

    ReplyDelete