Thursday, March 25, 2010

Project Hero Program: Noble Cause or Promotion of Militarism?

My attention today was drawn towards an issue making substantial waves around not only the University of Regina campus but across the country as well. I honestly had no prior knowledge of its existence until my boyfriend mentioned it to me in passing.

Apparently, a new scholarship program called ‘Project Hero’ will waive tuition and course fees for four years and will pay residence for one as well as provide $1,000 per year to successful applicants who are had a parent lose their life serving in Afghanistan.

This Project Hero Program will start in the fall across Canada and is being adopted by various universities and post secondary institutions including the University of Calgary, Memorial University, the University of Ottawa and the University of Windsor just to name a few however, what is making the majority of the waves (so to speak) is that 16 professors from the University of Regina sent in a open letter to Vianne Timmons, President of the University, asking for the withdrawal from Project Hero program.

The letter argues that the University’s involvement in such a program promotes militarism and that, according a quote by Jeffrey Webber, a political science professor, the “program is a glorification of Canadian imperialism in Afghanistan.”

On the other side of the issue, Andrew Tyler, a fourth-year history major and naval reservist said he was upset and irritated by the professors' letter.
"These are ultra left-wing people who have no idea what it's like to be in the boots of a soldier," Mr. Tyler said. "I'm tired of [them] pontificating to us about what we should do." –
National Post


According to The National Post , Barb Pollock, a spokeswoman for the University of Regina, said there would be no debate on the issue and that Project Hero would proceed.

So the question is: Is the scholarship program fair or foul?

For more information about Project Hero and a list of the post secondary institutions that have adopted it, click here.

You be the judge.

1 comment:

  1. I find it really interesting that you posted this, because I just (JUST) got home from coffee with my grandparents, where we were discussing this very issue. Actually, we were discussing my 'adopted' grandfather, who was born in the United States and fought in the WWII and Vietnam. In those times, he wasn't given a choice.
    I am not an advocate for war. I think it is insane that people choose to end others lives for any cause. However, it really bothers me when people put blame in the hands of soldiers who have fought in wars. Like I said, my 'grandfather' when to war because he was told to, and as such had no choice but to do his duty for his country. The stories I have heard (not from him because he never talks about it) about his times in both wars have shocked me beyond belief. I don't think our generation even really has the capacity to understand the kinds of sacrifices people have made for us, because most of us (I know not all of us...) have not experienced massive war in a personal or even close to personal way.
    If you asked him, he would tell you that he hates war. He thinks it is stupid. Yet he was a part in two major wars. I don't think the fact that he didn't choose to be a soldier makes it any less of a sacrifice.
    About the scholarship...I get frustrated when the compensation for a loss of something (someone) so profound is money. However, for kids who have lost a parent, financial compensation actually is something they could probably use some support with. From a 2 income family to a 1 income family (or a 1 income family to a no-income family), especially while dealing with profound loss, is a big transition.
    My grandparents have strong feelings about it. Having grown up through some major wars and lost many, many people very close to them, and knowing and having tremendous respect for my 'grandfather', their very good friend, they sense a deep disrespect that the professors are associating war-mongering with the veteran's scholarship.
    I constantly feel confused about how I feel about our modern day wars. Warfare terrifies and disgusts me. Knowing this, however, I wouldn't look down upon the soldiers who fight for Canada in Afghanistan. They did not start war. It is really not there fault that what has happened has happened. So when someone like that makes an enormous sacrifice...how do we acknowledge that?
    The scholarship, again, is tricky, but I do not think that it is condoning war. The professors need to be careful because they really do speak about something they perhaps know nothing about, no matter how educated they may be. I suppose I know nothing about it either, which is why I think it is important to look to those people in our lives who do know what war is all about before we make assumptions.

    ...Oops. That was long. :)

    ReplyDelete