Thursday, April 8, 2010

S.P.A.R.K. Camp

For the past week, I have been working at an Arts camp called S.P.A.R.K. which is put on by the Conservatory for the Performing Arts each year for children from ages 4 - 13 to participate in during Spring Break. There are a variety of camps all occurring at the same time: Kindermusik AM and PM, Mini Mozarts AM and PM, Arts Explorer, Romp & Stomp, Story 2 Stage, Creative Drama Studio 8 - 10 A & B, Creative Drama Studio 11 - 12, Showtime and Glee Club.

One of my favorite moments so far is helping the Guitar Camp tie dye T-shirts for their performance on Friday. The kids were so excited to dye their shirts and even us adults got caught up in the moment, which has not happened to me since internship. We unraveled our shirts today and it was the first time ever that a tie dye shirt has actually worked for me. I would like to thank the Guitar Camp kids for their color suggestions!

Even though that I have not been blogging as consistently as last week (boy, looked back I am really proud of myself how I found time to do so), I do believe that my time spent working with children has done me a world of good. It is so close to the end of the semester...and I find myself slowly burning out however, being at this camp even for a couple of hours a day is re-fueling my passion and drive in order to complete the last week to the best of my ability.

1 comment:

  1. Wow! How did you find out about this camp? It sounds like it was a lot of fun! Isn't tie dye just amazing!?! I love tie dying articles of clothing and I know my friend is a Chemistry major in Ed and they tie dye their lab coats. Wouldn't that be fun to do with students? For those to don't like science, they can use their creative juices to create a master piece and then dive into the science of how tie dye works.

    ReplyDelete